I remember when being stylish meant being yourself and making use of whatever was available in your closet. I remember that because I used to be one of those people who could put together an outfit without having to consult magazines (I am talking pre-google days here) or follow celebrities. Heck, In fact I thought I had better fashion sense than some bollywood celebrities! And then something happened. I started following fashion trends online, on TV and magazines just to keep a tab on what's happening out there. I didn't realize that I was getting influenced by what I read and what I saw. And as much as I would like to believe that I still stood my own when it came to style, I could see that my outfits were put together keeping in mind what people would think than how I felt wearing them.
Well, I have decided to get back to the basics, to trusting my own instincts when it comes to style. And like I tweeted , "When in doubt, ask yourself what would Audrey Hepburn wear?" .
This post is more for me, so I can come back to it whenever I feel pulled by the fashion 'trends'. The most stylish women who are talked about are the ones who are comfortable in their own skin. French women are the most fashionable women yet when you look at their style, you notice they have just a few staples in their wardrobe and they pick them well.Take Audrey Hepburn, you can literally count the number of things you need to own in your closet to recreate her style. She and of course french women prove that you don't need a closet full of clothes to step out in style. You don't need to own palazzo pants (although I am looking for one right now) or have something neon in your closet to be stylish. They say there's a certain Je ne sais quoi about french women that makes them stand out. We can only try and decode it. So, here I am taking the proverbial page out of the books of Audrey Hepburn (and the french women, ofcourse) and list down the basics I think
- Trench coat - You can wear this all year round and look put-together.
- LBD - Little black dress. it is e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g
- Black Cigarette pants - You can dress it up or down. It's all about finding the perfect fit.
- Crisp white shirt - There's nothing new I have to say that hasn't been said already about this little gem.
- Pencil skirt - Balance it out with a loose top.
- Carry-it-all bag
- Black fitted turtle neck sweater/top - Wear it with a skirt, pants or jeans. It can never go wrong
- Black pumps - Nothing screams secy like a black pump.
- Ankle boots with medium heels - If comfort and style had a baby, this would be it.
- Ballet flats - Duh!
- Dark washed skinny jeans
- Red Lipstick - Enough to make heads turn.
- Eyeliner - Forget blue, green and teal. BLACK is Forever, no?
- Chunky necklace, watch and a stack of bangles
Pic from here